Collection Agency Phone Harassment
Collection Agency Phone Harassment is when a debt collector is constantly calling and harassing you. Does your phone ring every day, several times per day, because debt collectors are calling you to demand payment? Threatening you with legal action or garnishment? Has a debt collector ever used abusive or profane language when speaking with you on the phone? If so, the debt collector may be violating your legal rights. Take back your life and stop the collection agency phone harassment.
Debt Collection Is Big Business
Debt collection is a $40 billion dollars a year business in the US. Collection agencies will often cross the line as to what they can legally do to collect on a debt because it will increase their bottom line in a cut throat industry. Due to these illegal tactics, Congress created the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, or the FDCPA. The FDCPA is a federal statute that regulates how 3rd party collection agencies can contact consumers and protects consumers from unfair collection practices. If a collection agency violates the FDCPA, you may be eligible to receive up to $1,000.00 in statutory compensation, plus all of your attorney fees and costs.
Thousands of claims are brought each year against collection agencies by consumers that have been harassed. Often these claims result in the script being flipped and the collection agencies paying money damages to the very people they were trying to collect from for the illegal harassment.
10 of the common ways Collection Agencies violate the law
There are many, many ways that collection agencies violate the law and harass good people. Below are 10 of the more common ways that collection agencies brake the law.
- Collection agencies cannot call before 8:00am or after 9:00pm.
- They cannot call you at work if you tell them to stop. this includes calling your cellphone during working hours if you tell them.
- Collection agencies must tell you they are a debt collector and that they are trying to collect a debt.
- They cannot swear or use profanity at anytime.
- Cannot threaten lawsuit, garnishment, or judgement if they do not have the ability or intend to do so.
- They cannot add extra erroneous fees to increase the balance owed on the debt.
- Collection agencies cannot continue to call you after you have told them to only communicate in writing.
- Cannot threaten to take your property or to harm you in anyway.
- They cannot leave threatening voicemails.
- Collection agencies cannot disclose the debt to anyone not part of the debt. This includes, family, friends, neighbors and co-workers.
Companies that use any of the tactics above or in some other way harass consumers to get payments are violating the law. If this is happening to you, there is a way to stop it. There is a way to not only stop the harassment but also possibly get money damages. Contact us now to speak to one of our legal professionals to see if we can help stop the collection agency phone harassment.
CONSUMER RIGHTS LAW FIRM, PLLC
Consumer Rights Law Firm, PLLC is a law firm that specializes in helping clients who are facing harassment from debt collectors in any form, including telephone communication. Rather than suffer alone, contact a legal professional to stop the harassing phone calls.
If you are interested in learning more about how to safeguard yourself and prevent even more collection agency phone harassment, call us at (877)700-5790 for immediate assistance or visit our website at www.consumerlawfirmcenter.com
check out a link for even more information: