Portfolio Recovery Associates Phone Harassment?
Are you getting constant calls from Portfolio Recovery Associates about a debt? Is Portfolio Recovery Associates insulting, threatening, or harassing you in any way? You need to be armed with the right information about Portfolio Recovery Associates and all debt collectors in general, to be able to handle the situation well when you’re confronted by them.
We all dread the numerous calls we receive from debt collection agencies. Furthermore, the already unpleasant situation is often exacerbated by unethical debt collection agencies who fail to respect your rights in the context of debt collection and adhere to the laws that protect the rights of consumers like you.
A debt collector is anyone who purchases or collects debts on behalf of an original lender or first-party collection agent. They are usually required to step into the picture when a consumer has defaulted on their required debt payments for a lengthy period of time and are tasked with performing debt collection services. Thus, if you’re wondering about Portfolio Recovery Associates debt collection, the above explanation should give you an idea.
Here in the United States, debt collection agencies must be registered before they can be legally allowed to perform collection activities on delinquent debt accounts. This means that they are required to know the rights of the consumers they deal with during the process of debt collection.
The federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) was enacted by Congress in 1978 as a response to the ceaseless complaints of abuse and harassment by collection against consumers. Thus, the FDCPA seeks to regulate the conduct of debt collectors by not only defining what ethical conduct during the process of debt collection is but by also making provisions for wronged consumers to get justice for the violation of their rights.
If you’re experiencing Portfolio Recovery Associates debt collection and you suspect that they are trampling on your FDCPA rights, do not hesitate to give us a call immediately on 877-700-5790, and we will be happy to put all our experience to work on your behalf.
To help you understand if Portfolio Recovery Associates is crossing the line or simply doing their job, here is a list of things that debt collectors aren’t legally allowed to do.
What is Portfolio Recovery Associates allowed to do?
- Contact you: PRA is allowed to contact you. However, they are required to provide: the name of the creditor, the amount you owe, and the name of the collection agency in charge of recovering that debt. It is important for you to ask for these details especially if you suspect a Portfolio Recovery Associates scam. There is a possibility that Portfolio Recovery Associates may not be the ones calling you. It may just be a scammer. Asking the right questions can help you find that out.
- Report you to the credit bureau for excessive delay in payment and delinquency, this can affect your credit score.
- Sell your debt: A collector can sell your debt to another collector if they haven’t been able to collect it or sell the remainder if a part of the payment has been made.
- Negotiate your debt: Debt collectors buy debts from original creditors at a cheaper rate. This gives them a high-profit margin if they are able to recover what was initially owed. Your original creditor may have sold your debt to a Portfolio Recovery Associates debt collector. As a result of this, the agency may be ready to negotiate your debt with you.
- Sue you: Yes, a debt collector can take you to court over your unpaid debt. It is absolutely necessary to get legal counsel when this happens and be sure to make an appearance in court, else the collector may win by default.
Dealing with collectors is not always a walk in the park however, it doesn’t have to be a nightmare either. Remember to calmly assess your situation, verify your debt to eliminate the chances of being scammed by fraudsters, and always know your rights. The most important thing to remember is to seek legal advice from an attorney who specializes in consumer law. You can contact an A+ accredited consumer rights lawyer on 877-700-5790 to get a roadmap to your freedom from debt harassment.
What is Portfolio Recovery prohibited from?
Apart from being allowed to carry out certain actions, Portfolio Recovery Associates is, according to the FDCPA prohibited from engaging in certain behaviors when dealing with a consumer’s debt.
In addition to the list of what a debt collector is allowed to do, we will give you a brief overview of the things that a debt collector is prohibited from doing according to the FDCPA.
Laws prohibiting harassment from Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC
A debt collector attempting to collect on a debt via the use of harsh, harassing, and often threatening methods is strictly outlawed by the FDCPA. Below is a list of laws regarding harassment that govern the collection of debts:
- Portfolio Recovery Associates is not allowed to threaten you with violence in any form. “Violence” in this context includes credit damage, corporal punishment, arrest, or jail time
- Representatives from Portfolio Recovery using profane, obscene, and abusive language while on a debt collection call with you is strictly prohibited by the FDCPA.
- Portfolio Recovery Associates is not allowed to publish your name on any list or on social media in an attempt to shame you into paying up your debts.
- Portfolio Recovery Associates may not cause your phone to ring several times a day just to annoy or harass you into paying up.
- Portfolio Recovery is not allowed to make false threats of actions they do not intend to, or that they are not legally permitted to carry out.
Laws regulating your Communication with Portfolio Recovery Associates
- In your communications with Portfolio Recovery Associates, they are not allowed to contact you outside the hours stipulated for routine debt collection by the FDCPA. This is between the hours of 8 am to 9 pm (except in a situation where you have stated otherwise and asked to be contacted at a specific time outside normal contact hours). Failing to stick to this rule may be taken as a direct violation of the FDCPA laws.
- If you have told Portfolio Recovery Associates that you cannot receive debt collection calls at work, then they are expected to stop placing calls to you at your place of employment. If you keep getting calls from a known Portfolio Recovery phone number despite telling them to stop calling you at work, you are being harassed and you need to make it stop.
- If Portfolio Recovery has revealed sensitive information regarding your debts to unauthorized third parties, they are not acting in accordance with FDCPA laws.
- If Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC has failed to honor your cease-and-desist letter, you may have sufficient evidence to sue them for harassment and recover a compensation.
Laws that prohibit Portfolio Recovery Associates from misrepresenting themselves
- In your dealings with Portfolio Recovery Associates, they are not allowed to feed you with false information regarding the debt (such as lying about the amount you owe or about the consequences of non-payment).
Portfolio Recovery Associates is not allowed to lie about who they work for or to place an anonymous call to you.
- A debt collection agency must under no circumstance pretend to be a member of law enforcement or an officer of the court.
- Note that you are allowed to ask Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC to send you a written document containing all the information about your debt. This information must be accurate and must tell you the amount you owe and to whom you originally owed it.
Laws prohibiting Portfolio Recovery Associates from mismanaging your payment
- Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC must never cash in a post-dated check before the date it is market for.
- As we stated earlier, Portfolio Recovery must never misrepresent the amount you owe or receive payments in excess of the interest rate on the debt.
Handling a Portfolio Recovery Associates lawsuit
One of the things debt collectors are allowed to do to your is issue you. If you fail to pay your debt, PRA can choose to take you to court.
Getting notified about a lawsuit can throw you off balance but with the right knowledge, your Portfolio Recovery Associates lawsuit does not have to end badly. If you have a Portfolio Recovery Associates lawsuit, here are a few things you should know.
- Don’t ignore the lawsuit. You may be tempted to look away and act like the lawsuit does not exist. But this will not end in your favor. Failing to defend a lawsuit has many bad legal implications like having your wages garnished.
- Get legal counsel and appear in court. Immediately the Portfolio Recovery Associates lawsuit is brought to your notice, contact a good attorney for advice and show up in court. Failing to show up gives the debt collector an automatic win.
- Look into the claim. Together with your attorney, you should review the records well to be sure that everything PRA has against you is accurate.
- Next, you should carefully consider your options. Look at your debt and your income and figure out if you can afford a settlement. If not, bankruptcy may be the next option.
- Reach an agreement with Portfolio Recovery Associates and get it in writing. Your attorney will help you do this well.
Your Portfolio Recovery Associates lawsuit can be handled well. Contact us today to look into your situation and recommend what is best for you.
Who is Portfolio Recovery Associates?
Portfolio Recovery Associates, also known as PRA is a third-party debt collector currently operating in Norfolk, Virginia. Portfolio Recovery is known for purchasing debt from first-party collectors for pennies on the dollar and trying to collect on the full amount through any means deemed necessary. As of October 2018, there were 1,461 complaints leveled against Portfolio Recovery Associates with the BBB.
Address: 120 Corporate Drive
Norfolk, VA 23502
Phone: (800) 772-1413
Is Portfolio Recovery Associates a Scam?
According to the Better Business Bureau website, portfolio collection has been in business for 23 years. There have been 1426 complaints filed against PRA with the BBB in the last 3 years by dissatisfied consumers. read more about it here: Portfolio Recovery Associates Better Business Bureau
Portfolio Recovery Associates Phone Numbers
Are you receiving any harassing phone calls from any of the following numbers?
239-642-8598, 678-265-1568, 757-321-6280, 859-918-0780, 800-772-1413, 757-321-6278, 760-849-4216, 469-808-1472, 702-637-7273, 412-884-4940, 404-941-8938, 844-675-3407, 347-394-2384, 347-394-2384, 303-255-5348, 303-255-5348, 800-875-5104, 877-803-0008, 859-635-4142, 321-800-4397, 517-252-6783, 770-599-7290, 954-862-5688, 859-305-1791, 314-450-8080, 702-637-7273, 770-462-2198, (239) 642-8598, (678) 265-1568, (757) 321-6280, (859) 918-0780, (800) 772-1413, (757) 321-6278, (760) 849-4216, (469) 808-1472, (702) 637-7273, (412) 884-4940, (404) 941-8938, (844) 675-3407, (347) 394-2384, (347) 394-2384, (303) 255-5348, (303) 255-5348, (800) 875-5104, (877) 803-0008, (859) 635-4142, (321) 800-4397, (517) 252-6783, (770) 599-7290, (954) 862-5688, (859) 305-1791, (314) 450-8080, (702) 637-7273, (770) 462-2198, 2396428598, 6782651568, 7573216280, 8599180780, 8007721413, 7573216278, 7608494216, 4698081472, 7026377273, 4128844940, 4049418938, 8446753407, 3473942384, 3473942384, 3032555348, 3032555348, 8008755104, 8778030008, 8596354142, 3218004397, 5172526783, 7705997290, 9548625688, 8593051791, 3144508080, 702-637-7273, 7704622198, 630-256-8591, 760-849-4216, 323-316-2651, 412-253-4047
If the answer is yes, then you are receiving calls from a known PRA number, you may be a victim of Portfolio Recovery Associates phone harassment. If you are receiving any form of harassment during these calls, do not hesitate to reach out to a qualified professional at 877-700-5790 for help.
The following is a sample list of complaints filed against Portfolio Recovery Associates in the past year and can be found on Pacer.org.
3:18-cv-01694-RDM James v. Portfolio Recovery Associates
2:18-cv-06447-PSG-AS Garet Abrams v. Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC
1:18-cv-07327-ARR-RER Gross v. Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC
2:19-cv-00164-BHH Tidwell v. Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC
2:19-cv-02086-JTF-cgc Haller v. Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC et al
Consumer Rights Law Firm, PLLC is a law firm that specializes in helping clients who are facing harassment from debt collectors. If you suspect that your debt collection rights are being trampled upon, contact our office to begin the process to stop the harassment you may currently be receiving from portfolio collection. Our office has been assisting consumers since 2010, and we have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Call us at (877)700-5790 for immediate assistance.
Check out the links below for more information: